Sunday, October 01, 2006

My Turn!

We have now entered a lovely time of the year here in central North Carolina; the morning air is fragrant and cool, and the days are often filled with sunshine and warmth. The heat of summer is gone, and it really is a fabulous time to be training for another marathon. I am busily preparing for Chicago again, which is now just three weeks away. This year will be very competitive, as many Americans are trying to qualify for the US Olympic trials and Chicago is probably the best place to accomplish that. I ran about 80 miles this week, which is about 77 more than what Shu Wen did. She's training hard for next year's Swarthmore alumni meet!

Speaking of running, we watched Chariots of Fire with a group of people last night; it's the classic running movie that just does not get old. Some in the crowd there had never seen the film, but I think that everyone more or less enjoyed it. I particularly like the attention the film pays to the different motivations people have for running. It does not just assume that it's purely about the competition and desire for glory and personal achievement. Finally, feel free to check out my running routes if you are near Chapel Hill and would like to see some interesting places to go. You can even try a 24-miler if you're brave! Unfortunately, I cannot really post many of my trail runs, since the Google maps only cover real streets.

Otherwise, Shu Wen and I are happily enjoying our home and town, with its farmers market, walkability (which is nice for evening strolls after dinner) and the ever vibrant Weaver Street market. At school last week, we saw Syriana, from which we both emerged very disturbed, probably reflecting our frustration at the current political and international climate and its violent consequences, but also because it seems so possible that the world may be exactly like the one imagined by that story.

We both continue to work hard, on a number of projects. Shu Wen is busily working on her PhD proposal, while I have my hands in a number of projects and am also trying to get some papers polished up. I do enjoy this life of analyzing and writing and doubting, but at times, it seems like I am getting nowhere fast. And on days like today, my pastor and church reminds me that I need to think more critically about the walls of privilege that protect me in the University setting, and the barriers they pose for others who live outside of it.

My housemate from last year, Smith, leaves Wednesday for Austin, where he got a job to work for Dell. I am happy for him, but we will miss you Smith! Especially your positive attitude.

I hope everyone has a good start to the new week and month...

No comments: