I've gotten a few emails these last few weeks asking what our plans are now that I'm done with grad school, so here is the low-down. On April 1st, I started work at the Carolina Population Center as a Research Associate. I am helping out with some work in China (the survey on which my dissertation used) and a new project in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). I'll get to learn lots about conducting and managing surveys, get some field experience and brush up on my Chinese. I'll of course get my hands into writing a few papers along the way. In July, this job will be transfered to a Research Assistant Professorship (non-tenure) in the Department of Nutrition at UNC, where my job function will be basically the same, except I will also have to join in on a few departmental committees (i.e., put in some service hours) and co-teach a course (likely either a policy or methods-type course).
It's not clear how long Marc and I will stick around in NC, but my commitment is currently until Summer 2010, depending on how the job market looks and what works out for Marc & I (yes, the dreaded dual career problem again). Meanwhile, Marc is working hard to finish by this Fall and has a number of projects with the World Bank as a consultant to keep him very busy over the next year.
Oh, Graduation weekend is May 8-10, but really for us, the important events all happen on May 9th. For anyone interested here are the events on May 9th (Sat), let me know and I will send you more details.
9am: UNC Doctoral Hooding @ Dean Dome
2pm: School of Public Health Hooding @ Memorial Hall
~4-5:30/6pm: Get together @ Barry's
6:30pm onwards: Party for Drs. Peterman (Amber), Ng (Shuwen), Spader (Jon) & Palermo (Tia) @ Ashu's (Public Policy Prof who kindly offered to host the party & be the DJ) in Carrboro.
~ Shuwen
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment