I am glad it is almost the weekend, although I am not so glad about having to spend it without Marc who left for Cairo this morning. He returns next Saturday evening.
I've spent much of this week on two things:
1) catching up with some friends via the phone, and scheduling time to catch up with friends
2) working on my dissertation proposal (yes, STILL!)
I realized last week that I've grossly neglected lots of my friends, so I started on a quest to re-connect with them. Or maybe I was on a quest to find something fun to do to distract me from my dissertation proposal. The good news is that I managed to send a final draft of it to my advisor this afternoon (it is an iterative process unfortunately), and I got to speak to some friends as well as set up hangout time with others over the next few weeks. These include a Girls-Nite-Out with some former roommates of mine, and a hare-brained idea of going on a road-trip around the US in summer with Edna and Mark Ee, two of my good friends from Singapore (Marc complains I am a bad wife who is already thinking about abandoning him for weeks on end!)
Marc & I also managed to spend much of yesterday evening just kicking back and enjoying each other's company. Together, we cooked an Indian (Madras) lamb dish, served with wild rice and some brocolli on the side, then had dessert at Weaver Street before heading out the catch "Letters from Iwo Jima". It was a very well made film depicting the battle on Iwo Jima from the Japanese perspective. Very powerful and sad, but also very humbling. I highly recommend it (and I believe Marc would too), though a caveat I will put is that be prepared to be bummed out afterwards. We have now seen two depressing movies in one week (we saw "The Last King of Scotland" on Sunday) -- both of which touch upon about the senselessness of humans portrayed with a balance of sympathy and outrageousness. I am still processing them.
~ Shuwen
Friday, January 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Thanks for directing me to your nice blog. It seems that both of you have been extremely busy these days. But I am glad to hear that you have finalized your proposal draft. I am also glad that you and Marc find time for yoga, cooking, running, etc. Jae and I will stop by frequently.
So it sounds like this is the best place to reach you guys. I miss you both. I am back in New Mexico and have begun my dual Master's degree (last semester I was just a MSW student but now I am an MPH student as well). Its pretty exciting although my epidemiology class is a little overwhelming right now. I am still running, and will hopefully complete my first half marathon on March 3rd in El Paso. Let me know if you have any tips for a first timer. If I do ok, I think I will keep it up and possibly try for a marathon around November. I have enjoyed reading your blog and hearing about your adventures. I would love to hear from you both either by letter or phone sometime as well. Even though I am bad at keeping in touch I think of you both often. Just a side note, I went to Betty's wedding in Chicago over break. It was really beautiful. I also got a chance to see some old PC folks like Dave Diedrich, Mary Domebeck, and Rachel Sharkey. of course Rachel did her wonderful rendition of "Baby Got Back" at the reception which was great. Betty was a beautiful bride. Anyways, I am thinking of you both! love,
Pattie
Thanks fo sharing your adventures and staying in touch through your blog spot.
N Carolina is so far away from Singapore and some 12 to 13 hours time difference that getting the timing right to call you can be confusing for me. I have known to phone friends in UK and New Zealand at very odd hours, because I got their summer and winter time daylight saving wrong. I am not sure you have that system of daylight saving in N. Carolina. But as you know we don't adjust our clock here in the tropic; it is summer all year round, although at the moment we seem to be living under water most of the time with the seasonal rainfall about the highest on record.
I have seen some of the pictures taken during your recent visit to Singapore. They are so good; we all seem to appear younger than we really are. You or Marc have to come back more often to take those pictures again. Even I (ahem ...)look good. Most important, I think you and Marc are happy and we were all very happy to see you and to take part in the tea ceremony and the dinner celebration.
Well, we have heard Marc giving his dinner speech in Chinese, now grandma and the older aunts and uncles are looking forward to seeing him writing to us in Chinese.
I enjoy reading your blog, so keep those stories coming... in English or Chinese.
Uncle ChiewKoon
Great Blog, Shuwen and Marc!! Keep it going! I really like the pics and writings you posted! Btw, I'm going for a 5K run/walk at San Francisco this Sunday. Marc is my role model!!
Post a Comment