We had a lovely Thanksgiving in Chicago this year as most of the family was able to make it over. Marc's granduncle's son, Jean Jeuland was also able to join us which was a real treat. I was surrounded by lots of French, so maybe some of it rubbed off. I found that I understood around 25-40% of what was being said depending on how focused I was in listening into the conversations.
Marc ran an 8-K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning in Lincoln Park and won it rather convincingly. His father, Abel ran it too and finished well in his age group (7th). I got to enjoy the benefits of Marc's speed as I got a new pair of running shoes from the gift certificate he won.
It was probably for the best that we spent much of Turkey morning moving about since we spent the rest of the day in the kitchen, around the dining table and lounging around the house. Chris, Christine & Maretta put in a lot of work into planning and making the scruptious meal. There was lots to sample!! We started with some top notch caviar & oysters with the white wine Jean got us. Chris did a wonderful job with the 13 lb turkey and stuffing. The roasted roots were a hit as was the poached pear & gorgonzola salad. Of course were was also yams, brocolli casserole, Jane's grandma's jello & a nice selection of european cheeses & chevre.
We had to take a walk after the main course in order to allow us to make room in our tummies for dessert (pear pie, pumpkin pie & pecan pie)!
On Friday we spent some time at the Art Institute -- I love the impressionist pieces there, and had another wonderfully decadent dinner at Rhapsody. This was followed by attending the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's performance of Mahler's 7th symphony. It was a fun one with lots of interesting instruments such as cow bells, a guitar & even a mandolin!
Eric & Jane had to leave early Sat AM. Marc & I do not know when we will get to see them again, but hopefully it will be soon :)
Christine led a 3-hr long Tri-Yoga workshop Sat morning which Maretta, Marc & I partook in. It was somewhat challenging since I am not so familiar with that form of yoga, and it was quite remarkable the poses Christine can get herself into! We were well stretched out by the end of it.
We spent the rest of the day enjoying a leisurely lunch, taking a walk and watching our wedding CD with the rest of the family that was still in town. Marc & I were sad to have to leave Chicago that afternoon. It has been work work work since we have been back!
I've posted 3 random photos up (click on Photos link to the right) -- I didn't take many pictures at all since I was often too busy stuffing my face :P
~ Shuwen
Monday, November 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment