I am beat. I tried to do a 21.5 mile run today, but only got somewhat close to 21 miles..... my left quad cramped up severely around mile 20, which was a whole new experience for me. Still, I'm not too bummed about the run despite feeling rather negative by mile 19, since on hindsight, I certainly learned a few things today:
1) when you start feeling the chills on a 75 degree & humid day, drink up.... dehydration is about to set in
2) rolling up & down hills definitely take a toll on the legs
3) running company is very important on long runs (as well as workouts)! Thanks Shannon & Anthony for the great support today. Actually, I have lots of people (Tricia, Amy, Mickey, among others) to thank for taking time to run with me these past few months, and for their patience and guidance as I learn about this marathon business
4) 5:30am, is not so crazy a time to start running -- there are lots of other gung-ho folks out there
5) do not start out too fast -- you will pay for it later!
6) leg cramps really do @#$%^&* hurt
7) sleep is important.... I'm still jetlagged and got up at 2:30am this morning, so by mile 18 I felt like a zombie.... now I know how I'll expect to feel in the last few miles of the marathon.
~ Shuwen
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks Shuwen for a great run! I SO would not have run 20+ miles yesterday without you. I had a lot of fun. I hope you are sleeping now, but I have a feeling you are at work. You are hardcore like that! I admire you.
Post a Comment