Sunday, November 02, 2008

This is the pumpkin I carved Friday afternoon, just in time for the trick-or treaters ( I actually got a few kids come by, much to my horror, as our candy supply was on the low side).

I cannot vote in the US, but I do live & work here, so I felt that it was my civic duty to Get Out The Vote by helping with the Obama campaign this weekend. Being in Carrboro means that most people were Obama supporters, so I didn't have any doors slammed in my face. The goal of the Obama campaign is really to get people out to vote precisely because this area leans Democratic. I was amazed at how organized the Obama campaign is here. When I arrived at the campaign office Sat AM, there were over 25 volunteers for the morning shift. People paired up, each pair got a folder with all the relevant information they needed and some literature to hand out, and off we went. I met a neighbor & fellow church member there, so we canvassed together. It was a gorgeous day here, perfect for being outside!

One of the people we met told us he and his wife/girlfriend were not going to vote. While I respect his position, I felt that it was sad that people did not want to use this opportunity they have to make a difference. Yes, in the big picture it probably doesn't count for too much, but it might. Marc & I are hopeful, but we are cautiously optimistic that Obama & Biden will win.

Meanwhile, I ran the longest distance I've ever run today (~12 miles -- not completely sure as it was in the trails, but we were moving for 2 hours) with Amy. My right knee is killing me now, but my back feels fine... I'm not even 30 and I'm already plagued by all these problems! sigh. Marc returns tomorrow afternoon (YAY!)

~ Shuwen

1 comment:

Phil said...

Good work, Shuwen, turning North Carolina blue. Yes, Carrboro was mostly supporters but Team Obama knew where it needed to go to get the votes to win the state. Now you know what I was doing last December-January in Iowa (a little colder there) and more recently in Indiana, where we also turned things blue. Yes We Did! - Phil