This afternoon I had minor surgery on my left shoulder. I had a sac of fatty tissue (lipoma) that have been gradually growing over the last 5 years (maybe --- who knows how long it has been there, but it was first noticed in 2004) next to my left shoulder-blade surgically removed. This was a pretty straightforward procedure, I am finally out of my sedation induced stupor and I'm recovering OK (but no exercise except for walking this next week)... it was amazing to me that one minute I was being told the names of the people in the OR, then next I opened my eyes to a tray full of bloody gauze and heard that the surgery was done, and then magically I was in the recovery room sipping a can of Coke (boy, I don't even remember how the heck I got to the recovery room! Was I rolled there? walked there? I have no freaking clue!!!) Marc & I got to look at the strange glob that got taken out of me... it was pretty gross --- think large (about the volume of between a golf ball and tennis ball) lump of chicken fat. The annoyance surrounding this was more administrative... it worked out in the end, but let's just say it wasn't fun learning 3 days prior to the surgery that I lost my health insurance coverage! (no worries, I got reinstated this AM -- phew!)
Work has been keeping both of us busy lately. Progress on my dissertation is going slower than hoped -- I know what needs to be done... it's just that each step seems so onerous... yet there are impending datelines! Marc has been rather stressed himself with preparing for his proposal defense and getting things out for the World Bank.
We each have our plates full, but he has been a real sweetie in making sure I'm OK, giving me hugs everyday.
We each have our plates full, but he has been a real sweetie in making sure I'm OK, giving me hugs everyday.
On a happier note, Marc & I had got to hangout with Christine, Chris & baby Jonathan last week in PA. He is simply adorable! He has grown 2 inches and is now over 8 lbs. Christine and Chris are adjusting to having a little one around, having to work schedules and their lives around him.... it's amazing how a small little guy who only knows how to cry, eat, poop and pee can cause so much chaos!We ran in the Swarthmore Cross-Country Alumni Race on Saturday afternoon, where we got to catch up some of Marc's old teammates. As usual, the run by the Krum (twice!) wasn't particularly pleasant for me, but at least I got a workout in for the day, and managed a 3 min improvement from my time last year. We popped into Philadelphia for the afternoon, then drove back to DC, stopping in Baltimore's Little Italy for a pasta dinner on the way.
On Sunday, Keith, Marc & I left Keith's place early in the AM in search of the Rockville metro station, which was near where the 1/2 marathon race was starting. Marc and Keith put in valiant efforts in the awful heat (~ 85) and humidity (over 70%) -- the winning time was around 1:07, which tells you something about how bad the conditions were. Marc was the first "white guy", finishing 8th over all in 1:12:21, and Keith put an end to his misery in 1:33 (he said that he woke up 4-miles into the run and it all went downhill from there). I don't know, but a 1:33 for 13.1 miles sounds pretty impressive to me!
Ambrose & Yana kindly let the boys shower at their place and (over)fed us a yummy breakfast of bacon, eggs, pastries, fruit and Yana's special banana pancakes. Somehow despite being the one who didn't do any running I felt hungrier and ate more hungrily than both Keith and Marc. Maybe it was something magical about breakfast at Ambrose & Yana's... or maybe I'm just a pig.
~ Shuwen




No comments:
Post a Comment