Tuesday, August 19, 2008

August is a popular time of year for weddings in our family. Marc & I were married 2 years ago to the day, our two pairs of parents were also married in August, as were Chris & Christine. We also just heard that my good friend from primary school (we've known each other since we were 9!) Sonia, is getting married next year (probably Aug 9th, 2009 -- Singapore's National day -- how patriotic!) There is something about August, I guess.

Otherwise, we have been busy as one can tell from the lack of blogging. Updates include:


  • Just back from a trip to Kentucky where we saw Marc's parents, uncles Phil & Al, and Nana, plus lots of extended family from Marc's mom side of the family. We ate too much fried food, but mitigated that by running a little and taking a nice 6-mile hike with Maretta. Thanks to the Manns (Ella Mae, Randolph, Kevin & Rodney for organizing!)

  • I am basically done with my first paper (of 3) of my dissertation. Working on another paper, which I need to get done by Oct. I am preparing to apply for a number of post -doctoral programs and have starting keeping my eyes out for jobs as well.

  • Marc is worried about his own progress, mostly because his adviser has been somewhat absent of late (holds a second appointment in another university, and has a few other projects, so he travels too much). I've half the mind to go talk to him and remind him of his responsibilities to his students, but Marc won't let me.

  • Marc has two papers that got revise & resubmits! Good news, but it also means more work and less time to focus on his dissertation.

  • Marc has a post-doc offer for a new climate change institute in Bilbao, Spain. We plan to visit in Oct along with a trip to Greece where Marc is presenting at a conference.

  • School is back in session (first day of classes today), but neither of us are taking classes nor teaching this semester, so our schedule is relatively flexible. I'm already getting annoyed with all the undergraduates who have re-populated / over-run Chapel Hill with their gas-guzzling, carbon-emitting SUVs (and bad driving while chatting on their cellphones)... on the other hand, I did have a number of fellow bikers this morning on the road, so I'm a little appeased.

  • Our heirloom Hill-Billy tomato plants are making lots of fruit! yum! We harvest about two okra a week (very meagre, but oh well!)

  • I am signed up to run a 10-mile race at the end of Oct and am aiming to do a 14-mile race in Dec, but my training hasn't been too consistent this summer (the heat and humidity is very discouraging).

  • Marc is planning to race in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St Paul) marathon on Oct 5th.

  • Tonight we celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary with dinner at Acme!

More other time!



~ Shuwen

No comments: