Sunday, September 12, 2010

The animals in our lives

Summer is finally starting to wind down a little here in North Carolina. We are so grateful for the recent relatively less humid mornings this past week, which have allowed us to keep our windows open overnight to let in some fresh air, and have made our runs far more bearable. The weather this past Labor Day weekend was particularly lovely -- it was simply wonderful to enjoy coffee while reading the paper out on our porch on a cool crisp Sunday morning!

It seems that with the recent change in temperatures, the animals are also appearing in larger numbers. Just this afternoon while out on a walk with a friend, we saw a water snake. Both Marc & I came across Copperhead snakes (poisonous!) while out of separate runs last week. We know of at least 2 other folks who had similar experiences in the past 2 weeks. Apparently end July- Sept is when they breed, so perhaps there is a link between seeing them around more this time of the year, but I'm not sure. First time I've ever seen a copperhead (actually it was Amy who spotted it and pushed me aside -- I was to busy chatting away), so it was a little scary but also exciting.

Marc also had a recent encounter with an owl earlier this week, who swooped down from behind him and brushed its talons on Marc's head. His head has been the target of another owl in the past. Maybe Marc's dirty blonde hair looks interesting to owls when he runs in the dark. Luckily no blood drawn either times, but he needs to watch out for those predators! Still, owls are pretty neat birds. I'm always amazed by their wingspan and how they can turn their heads!

At home, our kittens are really starting to settle in. Each of them have such adorable antics and personality of their own. Admittedly, Marc & I each have our own favorite, which balances things out. Coquette is the more docile, gentle but skiddish one. I've also decided that she is a little racist and favors Marc (something about our smells, I think as she is always sniffing Marc's feet). Marc & Coquette get along especially well, and Marc even been able to hold, hug, pet and nuzzle with her for a significant amount of time. She loves to sleep, especially on our plants, which has resulted in a few causalities. Sophie is more adventurous, athletic, active and aggressive. Twice when we've tried to get her (once to get her into the carrier for a vet visit and another to trim her claws), she had no qualms about brandishing her claws. Poor Marc got pretty scratched up from our first attempt to trim her (he still holds a bit of a grudge from that). Our second attempt was more successful, but we only managed the front claws, and it involved a far amount of very loud meowing in protest on Sophie's end. We've seen her do some amazing back-flips, jumps and pouncing. She likes to follow us around the house sometimes, leads the way in exploring new places. If Sophie ever gets outside, she would be so busy exploring new things we would probably lose her forever, but I also think that between her and Coquette, she would be able to better survive on her own out there. Sometimes we think we should have swapped their names, but who would have known how their personalities would develop when they were only a few weeks old? Still, these two sisters are clearly a great pair together, and love playing with each other, taking turns to instigate chases around the house.

1 comment:

(Mary) Shannon Johnstone said...

This is such a great post!! I am still laughing. I can't believe Marc's head was an owl's target—twice!
And your kittens sound so adorable. I hope I get to meet them soon. Happy Autumn!!