I am getting ready to leave Cairo tonight (my flight to Addis Ababa is at 3 am). One of the disadvantages of setting my travel plans so early (and therefore getting cheaper airfare in this age of astronomical flight costs) was that I was not quite sure how the schedule would work out. So it's probably not necessary for me to spend even a week in Addis for work, but I will go to the Eastern Nile Technical Regional Office and do my own analysis and writing when I do not have important meetings. I have a few things to do at the Ministry of Water Resources as well.
It has been difficult being away from Shuwen for so long...life alone on the road is much less fun than with her. I am looking forward to getting back to Carrboro soon.
I did, however, receive a call here in Cairo from a colleague at the World Bank, asking me to get involved in another fascinating transboundary water issue, this time in Asia, concerning the Ganges. I guess she thinks sufficiently highly of my work that she wants me to get involved in that effort. There is the possibility of a "post-doc" type job (since the WB does not fund formal post-docs it would be called something else) with her once I get my PhD. That is a very attractive option for me at this stage. In the immediate term, there are important meetings to be held in Dhaka at the end of the month. I am a little wary of all this traveling I have been doing, and do not want to go alone. Shuwen and I need to strategize...
What else? I just completed my last run of this trip in Cairo, which has been tough. I head out of the hotel at about 5 am to beat the crazy traffic and carbon monoxide or other air pollutants. It is still striking how many people are out at that hour. I think they spend the night outside...and in the morning people really line the bridges across the Nile, possibly because the night breeze is pleasant and the views of the city from them are much nicer than in the narrow, crowded streets. This morning, there were so many people on the sidewalk that I had to run in the street to get through. These folks included young people playing guitars, singing, friends and couples walking around hand in hand, and people selling grilled corn, a favorite snack this time of year. They of course find it fascinating when a foreigner runs by at a breakneck pace.
It's cool in Addis now, as the rainy season is in full swing. I think highs do not get out of the 60s. That will be quite a change; I do not have too many warm clothes so hopefully long-sleeve button-down shirts will keep me warm enough.
Friday, July 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment